I’ve been using declarative pipelines in Jenkins for a while with the Slack plugin to send build notifications to Slack. The plugin does what it says on the tin but gives you a pretty boring message by default.
I used the environment variables available in the pipeline to make things a little bit better and link back to the job.
But I was still always disappointed the notifications didn’t contain more information. Thankfully version 2.3 of the plugin added support for the attachments portion of the Slack message API. I was able to leverage the attachments feature to get better message formatting. Meanwhile, I took some inspiration from this thread to incorporate test result summaries.
I store this in a shared pipeline library to avoid repeating the code in every Jenkinsfile. This way you can simply call it in a post step like this.
Here is the code in the pipeline library
The end result is a much more informative message.
Pagerduty provides a built-in way to export your incident data but only a limited number of data fields are available on the basic plan. Rather than upgrade you can use the API to export the data to a CSV. I found this gist listed here. The python script works great but some of my incident messages contained JSON data that threw off Excel when opening the CSV. I slightly modified the script with character escaping to work around this (lines 98- 107).
I spent way too long troubleshooting a script step in a Jenkins declarative pipeline this week. After lots of frustration I stumbled upon this gist that was a life saver. Long story short you need
\\ to escape literal quotes.
I’ve often found myself with an instance id that I want to login to look at something. It sucks looking up the IP when you don’t know the DNS name. I’m sure there are other ways to do this but here is what I came up with.
aws ec2 describe-instances --instance-ids $1 | jq [.Reservations.Instances.PrivateIpAddress] | jq --raw-output .
This relies on the aws cli and jq to parse out the ip and has made it much easier for me to quickly hop on an instance.
There is a nice plugin for Jenkins that lets you dynamically add capacity by spinning up EC2 instances on demand and then terminating them when the job queue expires. This is a great way to save money on an AWS based build infrastructure.
Unfortunately, the plugin documentation is really light and there are a few gotchas to look out for.
This field only accepts comma separated security group IDs, not names. This is frustrating because other fields in the plugin take a space separated list (e.g. labels)
Running in VPC
If you’re a sane person you’re going to want to run these instances in a private VPC. This is entirely possible but is hidden in the advanced settings. If you expand the advanced settings you’ll see a field to enter your desired subnet ID. Set this to the ID of the private subnet in your VPC you want the instances to run in.
Don’t Rely On the User Data/Init Scrip to Install Dependencies
This adds a lot of time to the instance coming on line and being usable by Jenkins. A better approach is to make an AMI with all the build dependencies you need. The only delay is then the instance boot time.
This is far from an exhaustive walkthrough but highlights the issues I ran into setting it up.
Now that roles and profiles are in my control repo my RSpec tests are taking longer then ever. As of this writing the control repo contains 938 tests and I’m still a long way from 100% coverage. This really slows down the feedback loop when running tests. When running locally I often just run RSpec against a specific spec file rather then run the whole test suite, but I still wanted a way to speed things up in Bamboo.
I had used parallel_tests before to run things quicker on my local machine but was having issues with each test overwriting the JUnit output file and giving me an incomplete result set at the end. I stumbled across a fix for this yesterday which I’m pretty happy with. My original .rspec file had the file name of the JUnit output hard coded.
By making the following change each parallel test writes to its own JUnit output file.
--out results<%= ENV['TEST_ENV_NUMBER'] %>.xml
Bamboo was already parsing the results using a wildcard so no change was needed there (see this post for details on my Bamboo setup). The last step was to change the rake task Bamboo is running from
rake spec to
rake parallel_spec. This change cut the test time down from an average of 24 minutes to 8 minutes and faster feedback is always a plus!
I spent some time tackling technical debt in our Puppet code this week. The biggest outstanding item was implementing eyaml for protecting secrets in Hiera. I’d also been encouraging developers to contribute to the Puppet code base for some time, but they were restricted from the control repo due to some secrets kept in Hiera. This put a big damper on collaboration as Hiera is the data engine for our roles and profiles. Separate git repos were also used for the profile and role modules due to this workflow.
Hiera-eyaml to the rescue! Props to voxpupuli as this was dead simple to implement. Once the secrets were encrypted I tidied up a few more things before collaboration could rain down !
- created a new branch on the existing control repo
- moved the roles and profiles modules into the site directory of the control repo
- create an environment.conf file to add the site dir to the module path
- tested an r10k run on the new environment
- spent some time fighting RSpec, as you do
- merged into production
- created a new git repo for the control module to remove commit history containing secrets
- opened up access to the development team
We’ve now got a control repo with encrypted secrets open to contributions from across the org. I’m also enjoying the simplified workflow with environments now that hieradata, roles, and profiles are all in a single git repo.