Tackling Tech Debt in Puppet

I spent some time tackling technical debt in our Puppet code this week. The biggest outstanding item was implementing eyaml for protecting secrets in Hiera. I’d also been encouraging developers to contribute to the Puppet code base  for some time, but they were restricted from the control repo due to some secrets kept in Hiera. This put a big damper on collaboration as Hiera is the data engine for our roles and profiles. Separate git repos were also used for the profile and role modules due to this workflow.

Hiera-eyaml to the rescue! Props to voxpupuli as this was dead simple to implement. Once the secrets were encrypted I tidied up a few more things before collaboration could rain down !

  • created a new branch on the existing control repo
  • moved the roles and profiles modules into the site directory of the control repo
  • create an environment.conf file to add the site dir to the module path
  • tested an r10k run on the new environment
  • spent some time fighting RSpec, as you do
  • merged into production
  • created a new git repo for the control module to remove commit history containing secrets
  • opened up access to the development team

We’ve now got a control repo with encrypted secrets open to contributions from across the org. I’m also enjoying the simplified workflow with environments now that hieradata, roles, and profiles are all in a single git repo.

One thought on “Tackling Tech Debt in Puppet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s